Tuesday 30 August 2011

Google it is


“Now what do I do??” was what I was thinking after two of my friends where getting ready to leave for home after a neat cup of coffee at canape. We had met after a really long time hence, there was a lot we had to share but alas, the time was just not sufficient for out non-stop chatter.  She had to go home and pack as she had to leave for Pune in two hours.  Dolly and Raul, brother and sister, had been my friends for almost 2 years now. “chal then, hopefully I’ll see you soon.” We wished each other and left.

“Hey, what you doing man?” is what I blabbed when ‘Google’ picked up the phone. Well that’s what I named Sonia after I had gotten to know that she googled about every damn thing, from clothes to medicines to every small little thing that crossed her mind. It was just a private joke that Sonia , Bushu and I shared. Nobody else knew why we called her that.  Bushu that is my best friend was in Bangalore that weekend.
“nothing ya. Jus at home watching t.v” is what google said. I heard her sobbing “sniff sniff” so I asked her “what happened?? Why are you crying??” “nothing happened, I am fine” said my google, snorting. “ok. I’ll be there in 5” is what I said and hung up. On my way to her place I was thinking “ I am sure as always she might have had a BIG fight with Rohan.” I hated that guy her boyfriend. Anyway she loved him so it was none of my business to interfere in her matters. I just had to be there for her as a friend.

“Aago kite zale?? You fought with Rohan again??” I said in a casual tone. I could still hear her crying in her kitchen and talking on the phone so I decided to leave her alone for a while assuming that she was talking to Rohan. “hi” said Sonia when she came out of the kitchen with a box of juice in her hand and sat in front of me on her favorite chair. She was telling me about the massive fight she had with Rohan and sipping continuously on that orange juice. I was listening to what she was saying but my attention was on that juice box not because I wanted a sip but because I was wondering why is this woman drinking that juice as if she has been craving for it for generations? May be she does that when she is upset. Next time she is upset I’ll just get her a box of juice so that it can cool her off. “and then he answered my call and told me he was out with his friends so he couldn’t answer  my call” and again I was listening to her,  this time very attentively.  “arre baba. Its ok, chill. Come on lets go for a ride u’ll feel better” is what I said. “no PP I’ll just go to sleep. My head is heavy but before that can I please use your phone?? I want to google something” said Sonia. So now it was proven. Google it is. “ya sure” is what I said in a mocking tone. I was always known as a very sarcastic person by my friends so when I threw it at them they did not mind. “what the hell do you want to google now?? Show me I’ll type it for you” I nagged her. “no thanks” is what she said it in the most polite way she could manage. After completing her power search I asked her again “what the hell were u searching for??” she just plainly said “nothing I am going to sleep. You go home” and stomped into her bedroom. Curious cat that I am, I went through my phone investigating every bit of the site she had visited and to my shock noticed ‘what happens with an over dose of paracetamol.’ Before I could say anything to her she came out of her bedroom holding her head and telling me that her head is getting kind of heavy so she’ll just sleep it off.
“what in God’s name have you done sonia??” I just calmly asked her. “what are you talking about??” is what she asked me. “why the hell were you Googling  the over dose of peracetamol?”  was my next question but this time I was louder. “arre nothing ya. I just had a crazy though of consuming some tablets but I dropped my plan” is what she said to me in a nervous tone. “swear on me you did not consume them already” I demanded. “I swear on you I did not consume any tablets” she lied. “oh really??!! Let me just check” is what I said with all my sarcasm and stormed into her kitchen straight into her dustbin.  There it was lying in one small plastic bag 2 strips i.e. 30 tablets of empty crocin packets. I picked them up and asked her “what the hell is this??” this time I was so angry she could literally sniff my anger and I could sniff her fear. The fear was not that she consumed them it was that I had revealed her hidden crime. “I dint consume any crocin babe. I only cleaned my medicine box that’s all” is what she blabbered.

“Don’t you bloodie hell lie to me, you are really annoying me now. Get your ass out of the house.  We are going to the doctor” I demanded.

‘What happens with over dose of crocin’?? I had no clue. I always thought crocin was the most harmless medicine. Every time I had a fever or a headache I would just pop in one and it would relieve me from the pain. ‘what could possibly be the side effects  of crocin??’

Tick tick tick I dialed my friends number expecting him to be in his office. “hey rish, could you do me a favor??” I begged. “hey, ya sure what’s the matter??” he could sense panic in my voice. “could you please find out what happens with an overdose of crocin?” I asked. “what?? What happened?? Are you ok??” it was his turn to panic. “ya I am fine, just please tell me, google it for me please, its urgent”  I begged again. “ya sure sure just hold on” he said.  “overdose of paracetamol leads to headache and severe liver damage and if not treated on time it can lead to death due to liver failure” he read out to me.

Now I was nervous. That literal feeling of shitting and pissing at the same time one feels when you are not prepared for your exam and your dad has warned you that if u fail he will keep u grounded for 3 months. Except that this feeling was hundred times worse. Now I also wanted to vomit with nervousness.
“ok thanks rish, I’ll call you back ok and don’t worry I dint do anything stupid, it’s my friend Sonia” is what I said to Rishi. “ok, please take care and rush her to the hospital immediately”  he advised.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the name of this blog, it is more than just a thought. To start with, I felt you made an attempt at fiction writing, but then I realised it was a true-story. It is really nice you have a nice bunch of friends. I hope this google pal of yours is keeping well. I do not know why people take such drastic steps esp.girls if they have issues with their guys orarespurned by someone they love.They should learn to look at life positively - he was not the right guy for me,so on n forth. Think of their family, friends - all of whom love her so much. Suicide is crime like no other - BIGGEST CRIME, in fact.
    One thing I did not understand Prutha is the call u got - some guy. It is not linked earlier.
    The excerpt --- “and then he answered my call and told me he was out with his friends so he couldn’t answer my call”
    Please clarify on that.


    Well, I gotta admit,I like you more with this post - like your nature, as I know you on FB to start with. Your open-mindedness,maturity - your thoughts are clear and very expressive as keyed down here. This is what blogging truly is. Will share with you some cool blogs that you could add to 'your follow' list.

    Intend to organize our FB Group meet soon. Hope you guys don't let me down or ditch - Double F, SP, and yourself. Lets meet at some nice place,in Panjim or Margao.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot basil.. to clear that sentence.. its like she starts telling me bout her bf as in what happened and ma mind gets distracted wen she starts sipping on that juice and then i snap out of it and start paying more attention to her complaints..

    ReplyDelete
  4. anytime, Prutha .... looking forward to the continuity. Hope it panned out well.

    ReplyDelete